The Assistant Project manager is responsible for assisting their assigned Project Manager and Project Executive in managing all administrative and technical requirements of assigned projects. Assists in all activities related to contract administration, change orders, submittals, procurement, project financials set-up and updates, and schedule to ensure projects are completed in a quality, profitable, safe and timely manner. Maintain constant focus on meeting/exceeding customer needs and expectations by supporting the Project Manager in all aspects of assigned projects.
- Assist in pre-construction efforts, including
- Maintaining subcontractor database
- Assembling bid documents for pricing
- Performing document takeoffs and reviewing specifications and preliminary scope development
- Organizing takeoffs and subcontractor bids
- Developing bid clarifications and RFIs
- Reviewing and entering subcontractor trade durations into project schedule
- Generating and updating scope sheet for subcontractor pricing
- Participate in Architect/Owner meetings
- Writing qualifications and assumptions for contracts.
- Establishing accepted value engineering and alternate pricing.
- Ensure ample market participation is obtained for all project trades.
- Maintain document list
- Prepare and update baseline schedule with input from Project Team.
- Assist Superintendent with project documentation and daily reports.
- Generate and maintain subcontract and purchase order logs.
- Maintain and review shop drawings and submittals.
- Review subcontractor insurance certificates for compliance with project requirements.
- Price and generate proposed change orders.
- Issue, submit and track Requests for Information (RFIs).
- Maintain and track all permitting requirements and approvals with agencies having jurisdiction.
- Prepare project schedule updates with input from Project Team.
- Coordinate and schedule meetings with subcontractors.
- Obtain and track subcontractor warranty certificates.
- Obtain information and assemble closeout manuals.
- Establish relationships and communication tools as needed with suppliers and other key people to verify all materials, supplies, tools, equipment, and personnel are obtained and/or delivered when necessary.
- Ensure project site and company assets are secure, and maintain a safe and respectful working environment at all times by implementing safety, EEO, risk management, training, and quality control programs.
- Communicate with all suppliers and subcontractors to be certain they understand performance standards related to predetermined schedules or plans and specifications. If performance problems occur, coordinate with the Project Manager regarding the appropriate actions to take with the subcontractor.
- Attend all planning, progress, and close out meetings with project staff and other key people on project concerns.
- Assist in coordinating all contractual requirements, design drawings and project specifications that include, but are not limited to:
- On-site project management
- Project coordination and controls
- Construction billings and cash flow projections
- Job cost analysis
- Project schedule adherence
- Meeting minutes and documentation
- As-built document procurement
- Punch list management
- Cost tracking and job costing
- Assist Project Manager and Project Executive with any additional duties.
- Degree in construction management or related field preferred.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects/activities in a dynamic fast pace environment.
- Must have understanding of construction terms, estimating, purchasing, scheduling and planning concepts.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with and manage cross-functional teams.
- Proficiency with computer applications, including Microsoft Office suite.
- Candidate must possess Thornton’s Core Values: Results Driven, Proactive, Safety Conscious, People Focused, Customer Oriented, and Team Oriented.
- Ability to plan, direct and coordinate professional and sub-professional construction management work.
- Ability to work independently and organize and prioritize work.