The Preconstruction Manager is responsible for all aspects of preconstruction including estimating, hard bids, negotiated bids, budgets, general conditions, systems studies and comparisons, value engineering, subcontractor relations and staying abreast of industry developments applicable to preconstruction.
- Do whatever it takes to ensure that Thornton bids and proposals are competitive and have the greatest chance of winning.
- Double-check all critical work deliverables to minimize mistakes.
- Build strong win-win relationships with other departments, including Operations, Business Development, and Accounting.
- Handle all subcontractor interactions in a manner designed to build a long term relationship.
- Research and maintain technological excellence in their work environment.
- Identify creative ways to deliver additional profit if possible.
- Prepare and maintain status of plan reproduction.
- Solicit and maintain communication with subcontractors and vendors.
- Prepare subcontractor bid packages.
- Transmit addenda and other bid information to subcontractors.
- Ensure that we have the proper coverage from subcontractors on bid day.
- Contact supply houses to obtain additional subcontractor bids.
- Show creativity and resourcefulness to gain better pricing from subcontractors.
- Submit 100% of bids and budgets by the bid deadline – no exceptions.
- Review bid requirements thoroughly and ask follow-up question on every bid.
- Has a thorough understanding of the scope for specific trades assigned.
- Develop RFI’s and clarifications and ensure adequate subcontractor coverage.
- Perform a comprehensive “bid day” analysis and scoping of specific assigned trades.
- Understand how to fit subs to the size/scope of project.
- Create bid lists that fit scope of job, ensuring that we have the right subs for the project.
- Minimize exclusions by “doing our homework.”
- Include value-engineering ideas on every bid.
Follow up & closing
- Consistently follow up on submitted bids and budgets with Architect and/or Construction Manager to close business.
- Know architects, construction managers, property managers, brokers and can close business.
- Properly turn over bid documents and sub buyout information to Project Management in a timely manner.
- Review drawings with Project Management team and highlight areas of concern.
- Review job costs with Project Management team and highlight any subs/material vendors that still need to be awarded.
- Thoroughly check requirements to buy the proper scope.
- Award subs in a timely manner to ensure release of materials.
- Release materials for record only when possible.
- Ensure that subs are aware of (and commit to) the project schedule.
- Seek & qualify new subcontractors.
Leadership and Relationship Building
- Ensure that the preconstruction process runs smoothly and efficiently and client expectations are exceeded throughout the duration of the project(s).
- Build relationships to understand client, designer and subcontractor needs and expectations.
- Effectively facilitate collaboration amongst team members.
- Effectively communicate with all stakeholders.
- Manage Preconstruction Coordinators.
- Periodically participate in business development activities, presentations and interviews.
- Lead the Preconstruction team.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME).
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture or related field.
- 3-10 years of experience in Preconstruction/Estimating, or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Precision and accuracy in calculations and documentation.
- Experience with estimating software.
- BIM experience a plus.
- Candidate must possess Thornton’s Core Values: Results Driven, Proactive, Safety Conscious, People Focused, Customer Oriented, and Team Oriented.
- Able to work with speed and efficiency.
- Understanding of the influence of market conditions on pricing.
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks and have excellent follow up skills both internally and externally.
- Actively participate as a team member.
- Work effectively with all colleagues and constituents.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Strong sense of urgency and initiative.
- Take ownership of projects/clients managing both up and down.
- Able to work with minimal direction.
- Excellent problem solving skills.